Refugee Status Determination Clinic
The Refugee Status Determination Clinic assists asylum seekers and refugees through the status determination process in South Africa. Its work focuses specifically on the processes that will affect a refugee or asylum seeker’s legal status in South Africa before their asylum application has been made, while they await the outcome of their application, and if for any reason their refugee or asylum seeker status is affected after it has been granted. The clinic aims to promote the rights of asylum seekers and refugees, ensure that the asylum process is fair and just, and aid with access to durable solutions.
- access to application
Rejections of asylum applications:
- Appeal affidavits
- Representation at appeals before the Refugee Appeals Authority of South Africa
- Written representations to the Standing Committee for Refugee Affairs
- Judicial reviews in the High Court
- Permanent Residence Applications
- Citizenship applications
- Voluntary repatriation applications to UNHCR
- Stranded migrant applications to IOM
- Protection concerns.